Re: [ecasound] MIDI features

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MIDI features
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 19:54:25 EEST

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I would like to have the possibility to record from a midi-port and to
> output to a midi-port. It would be nice if one could in the same way
> record through normal line-in when outputting midi. So one can play
> midi-files through extern synthesizers and record the real audio-output of
> these machines to the computer.

Hmm, I think this is currently out of scope. When I get to implement the
MIDI subsytem rewrite, main concerns are getting MIDI-CC data from
multiple devices, and receiving and transfering MIDI timing and
synchronation info (start, stop, continue, tempo) from/to MIDI devices.
The thing I'm worried about here is creeping featurism. If ecasound could
actually read and write MIDI files (for recording and outputting MIDI
streams), ecasound would start to heading towards a MIDI sequencer. But of
course, if the sync works right, it just might be enough. A dedicated
MIDI-sequencer could be synced to ecasound.

> had the idea, that a function starting recording when the volume is higher
> then a specified value. I though it would be possible to connect a
> noisegate with the start-function. So one could create a condition. Do you
> see any possibility to realize this feature?

Hmm, this comes close to the "splicing big files into multiple smaller
ones in one operation" issue. So it's not possible yet, but could be
implemented (is on the TODO-list).

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .