[ecasound] panning

Subject: [ecasound] panning
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 11:32:31 EEST

Hello to you all.

  I am unable to get the panning to work. Given a command line such as

ecasound -c -b:1024 -a:1 -f:16,1,44000 -i sound1.wav -epp:10 -a:2
-f:16,1,44000 -i sound2.wav -epp:90 -a:all -o /dev/dsp

I would expect to hear sound1.wav over to the left, sound2.wav to the right.
Both wav files are 16bit le mono files at 44000. Is there some problem with
the ordering here. Also am I supposed to specify the output settings ie

-f:16,2,44000 -o /dev/dsp

Actually I tried this and there seemed to be some movement in the stereo
image but when I hit 's' followed by 't' the song restarted with everything
to the left. I tried other effects like -ea:120 and this worked but panning
... alas no.

Perhaps the problem lies in the fact I'm using alsa5.8 with ecasound 1.8.2r4
or maybe its because I'm stupid and don't no what I'm doing.

Has anyone else had similar problem or more to the point can someone please
help me?

--
Luke Tindall