Re: [ecasound] Performance problems with native alsa.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Performance problems with native alsa.
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 11:01:23 EEST

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Luke Tindall wrote:
> > A few questions about using ecasound with alsa.
> >
> > My machine: p200mmx, 96mb ram, 3.2 gb eide UDMA66 approx 10ms, awe32,
> > redhat 6.2, alsa 5.8.
>
> just wondering......i used to give ecasound a go but had much trouble
> getting it to do multi-track audio....
> has this been fixed that or i wasn't doing something quite
> correctly........
>
> want to know before downloading it and components it needs....
>
> thanks......
> lee

Yes it does do multi-track but it does depend on your machine, hopefully
yours is more powerful than mine. Also I had poor performance when I set the
output chain to -o alsa,0,0 so use -o /dev/dsp. As I don't use oss only alsa
emulation so I don't know what how oss proper performs.
The main problem I found is trying to do real time mixing. Mixmagic seems to
have the potential in that area but has no recording potential as yet and is
very much alpha. However it did seem to play the same number of tracks as
ecasound and has panning and volume controls for realtime adjustment.
Pleasing to see the sound on linux getting so much better
Yes I would recommend you try ecasound again.

--
Luke Tindall