Re: [ecasound] what's up with the CVS?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] what's up with the CVS?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 23:07:06 EEST

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I was attempting to determine which of my diffs are in the
> repository. Previously, doing a status refers to audioio-alsa3.cpp as
> libecasound/attic/audioio-alsa3.cpp. What is attic?

It's where CVS puts removed files. I guess there's still some problems
with the CVS. It's a shame I had to do this (again, we lost the CVS
history of a few files), but keeping plugins in the libecasound directory
would have been troublesome.

And I really think that this plugin support is needed. My aim is that most
ecasound users could install the program from binary-rpms. Btw; I've been
talking with one Debian developer, and we might have deb-packages of
ecasound soon available.

Anyway, this is all fine as long as ecasound doesn't use many external
libraries. But now, when I'd like to keep supporting libaudiofile, ALSA,
aRts, possibly some mpg/mp3 library, Ogg Vorbis (the open-source version
of mp3), etc, etc, we end up in a situation where most users have to
compile ecasound from sources. Even though compiling is quite an easy task
to do, it takes a _long_ time. :(

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .