Re: [ecasound] of current CVS

Subject: Re: [ecasound] of current CVS
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 23:46:28 EEST

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, S. Massy wrote:

> two things:
> -- The Makefile in ./libecasound/plugins/ needs to be updated (it's
> empty as of now).

The whole CVS-tree is a bit of a mess right now, and will continue to be
until I get the internal plugin support properly finished. Anyway, I got
it to compile on my other machine by doing the following:

cd [cvsroot]
cvs co sound/ecasound/libecasound/plugins
cd sound/ecasound
sh cvscompile

Now, "ls -la libecasound/plugins/Makefile*" outputs:

--cut--
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15501 heinä  11 23:37 libecasound/plugins/Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2549 heinä  7 16:58 libecasound/plugins/Makefile.am
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16567 heinä  11 23:36 libecasound/plugins/Makefile.in
--cut--

> -- ALSA support for ALSA 6 seems to be broken somehow again. That is, it
> compiles fine but then sound is grabbled (only with ecasound) and ALSA
> I/O's won't work despite the fact that ecasound's been compiled with
> ALSA support enabled.

Yes, this is true. I'm not sure what actually is broken. 8bit/mono works,
so there's probably some frames<->bytes related problems in the ecasound
code. Unfortunately I don't have time to fix this just now. I'll try to
find some time.

PS Note that in the current CVS, all ALSA, audiofile and aRts releted
   code is relocated to 'libecasound/plugins'. These source file
   are compiled as dynamic libraries (for instance, libaudioio-alsa.so)
   and are loaded dynamically at runtime. The benefit we get from this,
   is that I can distribute binaries compiled with all the plugins and
   people can run them even though they don't have the required
   libraries (libaudiofile, libasound, libartsc). This is, IMHO, very
   handy.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .