Re: [ecasound] weird delay in real time processing

Subject: Re: [ecasound] weird delay in real time processing
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 18:11:55 EEST

On Fri, 19 May 2000, S. Massy wrote:

>> Hmm, what about "ecasound -i:file.wav -o:alsaplugin,0,0"? I tried
>> 1.7.7r11 with my AWE64Gold(isa) without problems (ALSA 0.5.5).
> When I do that, play a wave through alsa device, I get a minimal
> number of underruns mostly at the begining of the processing. The big
> issue is when recording, I get over a thousand overruns a minute
> sometimes which makes quite a sad recording.

I haven't been able to reproduce this bug. And as ALSA API is constantly
changing, it's hard to pinpoint the real source of problems (ecasound,
ALSA, lowlevel drivers, kernel, libc, etc). I'm currently a bit busy,
but I'll to find out what's behind this. Before that, all I can just
encourage you to test various combinations of ALSA versions (native,
OSS-emulation), buffersizes, other apps, etc and see what you come up
with.

> Well device 1 on card 0 (SBLive) is supposed to be the MIC according

This sounds odd as ALSA devices aren't related to physical connectors.
Everything dealing with signal levels and selection of the input source,
is handled with mixer apps.

>>> # ecasound -i:/dev/snd/pcmC0D0C -P:/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
>> This is an invalid command line.
> I think you've made an error in the doc then.
> "The ALSA drivers have a somewhat different option syntax. You can
> specify the actual device name (/dev/snd/pcm...) or specify "alsa"

Doh, I thought I had removed all references to the old ALSA option
syntax. Good that you noticed this. ;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .