[ecasound] Install report - Redhat 6.1

Subject: [ecasound] Install report - Redhat 6.1
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 12:39:24 EEST

I had a chance to install ecasound and ecawave on a new Redhat 6.1 box. Even better, when I got the machine, the basic system was already installed. In other words there weren't any extra packages installed.

First I downloaded ecasound 1.7.7r11.tar.gz. First problem occured when running 'configure' - libtool wasn't installed. This was bit of a suprise to me. It seems that libtool package comes with the Redhat cdrom, but isn't installed by default. Ok, installed libtool from the cd and re-run 'configure'. Now everything went smoothly. 'make' and 'make install' also worked flawlessly.

Then I downloaded ecawave 0.2.1d2.tar.gz. 'configure' didn't manage to find libecasound. First, /usr/local/lib had to be added to /etc/ld.so.conf (after which you have to run /sbin/ldconfig). The second problem was new to me. 0.2.1's configure.in script had an error around line 50 (AC_CHECK_LIB()) routine. This will be fixed in 0.2.2. As a quick fix, you can comment the whole AC_CHECK_LIB() away (prefix the appropriate lines with 'dnl').

During 'make', compilation failed because of missing ALSA header files. This will also be fixed in 0.2.2. As a quick fix, remove
line "#define COMPILE_ALSA" from src/qesession.cpp (ecawave's source tree).

These were all the problems I encountered. If you can do the same
with other distributions (or versions), that would be great.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .