Re: [ecasound] Chorus, flanger, phaser

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Chorus, flanger, phaser
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 23:48:06 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Remco Poelstra wrote:

> What's the difference between these? You've to give the same arguments.

Well, not much really. Flanger is basicly a short time-varying delay.
Chorus is similar, but with a FIR-design. In other words, flanger is a
special reverb, while chorus is a delay/echo. Phaser uses allpass filters,
and thus it doesn't affect the frequency content although the phase is
time-varying.

> And I've another question (a bit off topic). How can you mix an
> unlimited number of digital signals? When you som 4 16 bit channels,
> you're at the maximum of a real, so how do you do that?

This is easy with floating point values. When using floats, value range
doesn't affect dynamic range (using a value range of [-32000,32000] for
our samples results in equal pprecision as with a range of [-1,1]. This is
one of the reasons, why ecasound converts all input data to its internal
format before actual use.

> And another question, (I think esspacially to Kai), do you've problems
> with Pascal code in ecasound?

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this...? If you are talking
about adding components written in pascal to ecasound, it ain't easy. The
fundamental problem is that ecasound's design is heavily object-oriented.
If you don't want to write C++ code, it's probably easier to fork ecasound
on the background, and use the ia-mode.

And of course, nowadays ecasound also supports LADSPA plugins.
You don't have to know C++ to write these.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .