Re: [ecasound] a few questions

Subject: Re: [ecasound] a few questions
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 19:10:51 EEST

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Jan Stary wrote:

> ecasound -a:1 -f:16,1,44100 -i:guitar.mp3 -erc:1,2 -ea:100 -epp:15 -y:4.8 \
> -a:2 -f:16,1,44100 -i:mandolin.mp3 -erc:1,2 -ea:190 -epp:90 \
[...]
> guitar.mp3 is about 50s long, mandolin.mp3 about 15s. The output is OK till mandolin.mp3
> finishes in the right channel - after that a noise appears in the right channel (looping
> the very last few miliseconds of mandolin.mp3, I'm sure). If I used ecasound -b:2 the output
> was OK, but it processed REALLY slowly.

Hmm, this seems to be a bug in output-mixing. I'll try to fix it before
releasing 1.7.6.

> Is there a way to change the bitrate of mp3-output? Seems like lame makes it 128 kbps by default.
> How can I say (on an ecasound command line) that I want lame to make it something else?

Not possible on the command-line, but you can set the default in
ecasoundrc (see ecasoundrc(5) man page).

> Ecawave seems to have this bug: if you cut a 2sec sequence from the beginnig of a 10sec wave,
> (which is a usual thing to do: you cut the silence/noise between i-started-recording-here and
> i-hit-the-strings-here), the rest of the wave (2.00 to 10.00) gets shifted to the (new) beginning,
> BUT the total length remains the same and the end sequence <6.00 to 10.00> is now two times repeating

This is a bug. I'll fix this, and couple of other similar cut+copy+paste
problems in 0.2.1d2.

> And finally, one general question. On my system, "ll /dev/dsp*" says
[...]
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 14 08:32 /dev/dsp -> /dev/dsp0
> crw------- 1 hans sys 14, 3 Apr 14 08:32 /dev/dsp0
[...]
> What do the numbers (14,3 ...) mean, please? I can't record and playback at the same time,
> not both. It says "Can't open input file '/dev/dsp': device or resource busy".
> SB AWE 64 definitely is full duplex. What's wrong?

Those are device major and minor numbers, but you don't have to worry
about them. A better place to get info about your sound hardware is
/dev/sndstat (cat /dev/sndstat). To use your soundcard as a fullduplex
device, use one dsp-device (/dev/dsp0) for playback and another for
recording (/dev/dsp1). /dev/dsp itself is just a symbolic link to the
first dsp device (/dev/dsp0 in your case).

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .