[ecasound] Re: problems with mpg123

Subject: [ecasound] Re: problems with mpg123
From: Arto Hamara (artham@utu.fi)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 11:43:13 EEST

Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:
>
> > yes I know, but mpg123 is told to start at point N inside the mp3
> > file. Why doesn't ecasound start feeding mpg123 or whatever plays the
> > signal from point N
>
> Hmm, it took me a while, but now I understand what you and Arto mean.
> This might work, but as mpg123 currently handles mp3 files directly,
> I'd have to rewrite much of the mp3-input code. Frame boundaries would
> have to be dealt with among other things...
>
> > and what does ecasound do with VBR?
>
> It will mess up mp3 position info, but otherwise it's up to mpg123 to
> handle them correcly.

To handle VBR correctly ecasound should read through the mp3-file and
build a table of time-offsets of frames. This should be pretty fast, and
the table would take about 30-40 kB on a typical song. Of course, if that
is done, there shouldn't be much work to switch to the eca-feeds-mpg123-
scheme.

I just might give it a try when I get some spare time.

--
,' Arto Hamara * artham@utu.fi * http://slayground.yok.utu.fi/ ,-'