Re: [ecasound] Timer controlled recording

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Timer controlled recording
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 01:16:41 EET

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Kimmo Koli wrote:

> I'm wondering how to make a timer controlled recording, like a VCR for
> audio. Of cource I can start a recording with at or cron, but how to end
> it gracefully so that a clean wav-file results. Or should I just record
> raw headerless PCM?

You can use the "-t:seconds" option for specifying processing
time ('seconds' need not be an integer). This should do it. 'at' and
'cron' will handle the rest.

> The other problem is that how long a 44.1kHz stereo recording can I do so
> that it is also playable/editable. I have now a 10GB recording partition
> so I can record quite a bit...

Well, with ecasound (and other programs using libecasound), file size is
no problem. Only thing you have to be worried about is your kernel
(whether it supports file sizes >2GB).

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing