Re: [ecasound] -ev or -ea option overdid it

Subject: Re: [ecasound] -ev or -ea option overdid it
From: Christopher Taylor (chris@thedial.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 19:22:22 EET

It occured to me last night what the problem is. The -ev option is
returning a number with a higher precision than the -ea option is using.
The -ea option, instead of truncating the value (which it should do) is
rounding the value to the lower precision. In approx. 50% of cases of
using the output of the -ev option as the input of the -ea option, this
will cause clipping of the waveform.

Example:
1. -ev option returns 105.92875
2. this value fed into -ea option
3. -ea option rounds the input value to 105.93
4. since amplify-% now exceeds the maximum, clipping will occur

I hope this is helpful to you. For my part, I will just truncate the
value myself before passing it to the -ea option. Does
ecatools_normalize take this situation into account?

CT

--
Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>  theDial
Director of Research and Development    http://www.thedial.com/