Re: [ecasound] tracking with ecasound 1.6.12

Subject: Re: [ecasound] tracking with ecasound 1.6.12
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 15:02:04 EET

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I have had discussions about larger buffers making the delay noticable,
> she suggests the delay is not that noticable. Try -b:128 and see if your

Ahem, still a boy the last time I checked. ;)

> I have noticed that recording a wav file, then encoding it with lame, then
> playing both at the same time with ecasound seems to induce a 75
> milisecond delay for the mp3 file, in fact, the decoded version of the wav
> file is larger than the original file, I'm not certain I fully understand
> that.

Hmm, someone was using mpg123/lame for de/encoding individual module
samples and he reported similar problems. The decoding/encoding process
seems to add sample data. I'll check the ST-list archives for this.

> yea, the -t and tl options haven't yielded good results for me either, in
> fact they mostly confuse me. There isn't a really intuitive way to rid of
> them in the console interactive mode, nor is there a way to fix the k
> controllers...or maybe I have missed some option in ecasound-iam
[...]
> We need a c-help, cs-help, aio-help, etc. command.

Yep, I admit that ecasound documentation isn't as detailed as it could be.
My current aim is to keep documentation always up-to-date. To do this,
I have to keep it short.

Anyway, to understand -t and -tl, you need know how ecasound handles file
positions. When ecasound's engine is launched, all inputs and outputs
have already been opened. You might have modified their start positions
with -y:secs. Now ecasound stores the current starting position for all
inputs and outputs. Then it processes for -t:seconds. If looping is
enabled with -tl, it'll reposition all inputs/outputs with the saved
original start positions and continues processing.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing