Re: [ecasound] linking against ecaLibraries and accessing audio files directly

Subject: Re: [ecasound] linking against ecaLibraries and accessing audio files directly
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Sep 21 1999 - 22:05:34 EEST

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Kali Griffin wrote:

> I am trying to compile the ecatool source code. When I do this, I get the
> error, "no such file or directly" on all the header files. I am trying to
> link with the -l flag, libecasound.so and libkvutils.so in the gcc
> command. Is the procedure much more complicated for linking to the
> libraries? or should this work.

You should run ./configure in the top source directory which creates
a suitable ecatools/Makefile... Anyway, when compiling programs which
use libecasound.so, you need the following gcc options...

-I/path/to/libecasound/include (engine header files)
-lecasound
-lkvutils (only necessary if you use kvutils routines/classes)
-I/path/to/kvutils ( -- " -- )
-lstdc (C++ runtime library)

If you compile with "c++" (or "g++") instead of gcc you don't need
to specify -lstdc. Depending on what you do, you might also need
"-lpthread -ldl and -lm". And of course, the directory where
libecasound.so and libkvutils.so reside should be mentioned
in /etc/ld.so.conf ... By default "make install" puts the libraries
in /usr/local/lib.

Fortunately "./configure" and "make install" (in the top source dir)
take care of all this.

> doing this? or do I have to wade through every bit of source code in
> order to figure out the complete link order? i looked in your make file
> and tried to duplicate the link order for audioio-wave.cpp, but this didnt
> work, and just gave me a large string of unrecognized symbol errors. Any

Hmm, did you use "-lstdc++"...?

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing