[ecasound] play midi file to midi port?

From: Bellan, Leon Marcel <leon.bellan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 27 2020 - 19:39:26 EET

I'm trying to use ecasound for an animatronic project, and have motion sensor events appropriately turning on/off audio (wav) tracks via the ecasound server interface (selectively muting/unmuting channels upon motion sensor events). The wav data is going to an ALSA output. I'd like to also have ecasound play .MID files to a MIDI port I have set up that controls DMX fixtures over ArtNet (midimonster is converting MIDI to ArtNet and displays the MIDI events to the terminal for debugging)To get everything synced correctly, it'd be great if the wav and midi data is read by the same program (i.e. a multitrack audio program playing wav and midi at the same time). Ecasound does just what I want when I only use wav files (I can load multiple files and selectively mute/unmute them via the server interface), and I can get the midi files to control fixtures correctly using aplaymidi to the port I've set up, but I can't seem to get ecasound to send MIDI data from a MIDI file to the MIDI port. I'm not sure whether ecasound is capable of doing this, but it'd be great if it could. Is there a way to play a MIDI file in ecasound and route not to Timidity but to a MIDI port (e.g. 129:0)? I'm using "ecasound -a:1 -i miditest1.mid -o:alsa -Md:alsaseq,129:0", which seems to send a START and a STOP to the port, but nothing from the MIDI file itself. "aplaymidi -p 128:0 miditest1.mid" sends the data correctly (MIDI CC data that midimonster reads), but I can't get it to sync well with the wav data played by ecasound (i.e. running "ecasound XXXX & aplaymidi YYYY " doesn't start playback of both files at the same time due to longer and slightly variable startup time for ecasound)

I've thought about trying to use nama, but it is crazy slow on the system I'm hoping to use for this project (Pi Zero W) whereas ecasound, aplaymidi, etc seem to run at a reasonable speed, and I'm not sure if nama is designed to be used for only playback purposes like what I'm doing here.