Re: [ecasound] Running ecasound within a script

From: rocco <rocco556@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 17 2017 - 09:56:13 EEST

On 05/15/2017 07:32 AM, rocco wrote:
> I've been writing a tcl/tk front-end for ecasound for quite a few years
> now. The whole time I've run it from the console so I can interactively
> work with the program for testing and such things. Then I finally got
> the brilliant idea (yes... that's sarcasm) to run it from an icon on the
> desktop. No matter what I do, I can't get ecasound to run within my
> front-end unless my front-end is started from the terminal.

I didn't mark this as [SOLVED] because I just want to check with anyone
that knows if this solution will be permanent and work with all systems.

First... it took forever for me to find a way to capture the ecasound
errors from tcl. When I did, it said "TERM environment variable not set."

In tcl/tk I set TERM to 'linux'. Nothing I read told me how to properly
set TERM. The subject is very confusing.

Two questions...

Will the value 'linux' work on all systems?

Is it ok to set TERM in my tcl/tk script that runs ecasound?

Thanks
Rocco