[ecasound] pyeca troubleshooting request

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 30 2015 - 19:36:18 EET

Hey, y'all.

I lurked on the LAU list from 1999 through 2005, then moved out into the
woods and raised chickens. Now I'm IT Manager at a public radio station -
go figure. We have a service where (mostly elderly) volunteers come in and
record themselves reading newspapers, and then our automation system plays
it back for blind and visually-impaired folks in the area.

I replaced the really old windows-based automation system with Rivendell,
which has worked nicely, but its recording interface is too complex for our
volunteers, many of whom simply don't use computers.

So, I made a front end in Python, using pyeca. The user can select a 'cut'
from a list, and then they have four buttons: "Record", "Pause", "Cancel",
and "Stop and Save".

I have some experience programming in BASIC on a DOS machine back in the
late eighties, but that was a long time ago.

All that to say, I'm getting some timeout errors, and I was really hoping
someone could look over my code and help me figure out what's going wrong.
:)

There's a pause button that sends either "start" or "stop" commands to ECI,
based on context.

Sometimes I get the timeout error after the stop command:
"timeout: s=< >, cmd=stop."

Often the program will continue to run after this.

Sometimes I get the timeout error after the start command (or, really,
after the command after that):
"timeout: s=< >, cmd=cs-get-position."

This usually hangs the program completely.

The code is here:
https://github.com/daneasley/cutrecorder/blob/master/cutrecorder.py

There are some "time.sleep" commands in the "while self.running" loop so
that the computer doesn't wear itself out updating the counter display; any
other "time.sleep" commands I've placed there specifically to try to avoid
these timeouts.

I'm using JACK; would setting a larger or smaller buffer size help me out?
It should be intuitive, but I don't understand which direction would help
me out more, or if it would have any effect at all.

I'd very much appreciate some help on this. It's definitely for a good
cause.

If there's anything I can do to make it easier to help me, do let me know.

Thanks so much, both for ecasound, and for any possible assistance!

Dan

--
Dan Easley
wmra.org / shakealegrecords.com / bearcademusic.com