[ecasound] Using ecasound with alsa loopback

From: Alan Bromborsky <abrombo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 06 2015 - 20:13:53 EEST

I am trying to capture surround sound with the alsa loopback device. I
have configured the loopback device as sound card 0. I have no
.asoundrc file. I am testing the loopback device with ecasound and
kodi. I start ecasound (I do not know if this an ecasound or an alsa
question) with the following command -

brombo@email-addr-hidden:~$ ecasound -i alsahw,0,1 -o alsahw,2,8
* ecasound v2.9.1 (C) 1997-2014 Kai Vehmanen and others
(eca-chainsetup) Chainsetup "untitled-chainsetup"
(eca-chainsetup) NOTE: Real-time configuration, but insufficient
privileges to utilize real-time scheduling (SCHED_FIFO).
... With small buffersizes, this may cause audible glitches during
processing.
(eca-chainsetup) "rt" buffering mode selected.
(eca-chainsetup) Opened input "alsahw", mode "read". Format: s16_le,
channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
(eca-chainsetup) Opened output "alsahw", mode "write". Format: s16_le,
channels 2, srate 44100, interleaved.
- [ Connected chainsetup: "untitled-chainsetup" ] ------------------------
- [ Controller/Starting batch processing ] -------------------------------
- [ Engine - Driver start ] ----------------------------------------------
^C- [ Controller/Batch processing finished (0) ] ---------------------------
(eca-control-objects) Disconnecting chainsetup: "untitled-chainsetup".
brombo@email-addr-hidden:~$

alsahw,0,1 is the loopback capture device and alsahw,2,8 is a hdmi
output. The ecasound command is executed before I start kodi. I select
the loopback audio device in the kodi audio setup menu. This gives me
sound, but only in stereo, even if the source is 5.1 channels. If I
select the hdmi output in the kodi audio setup I get 5.1 channel output.

Do I need to force the loopback device to use 6 channels. If so how do
I do it? Is there another problem? Thank you for looking at my problem.