Re: [ecasound] ecasound -z:xruns

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2014 - 10:37:11 EEST

éléandar wrote:
> > The setup you are posting does not require JACK at all,
> > and if you do it using ALSA, Ecasound may respond to
> > xruns more comprehensively.
>
> Sorry, the real command line is:
>
> ecasound -c -dd -i Bass.wav -o jack,system -G:jack,eca,recv -z:xruns
>
> > I can speculate that Ecasound will only respond to xruns
> > that it generates. Probably Ecasound is not aware of xruns
> > occurring elsewhere in the JACK graph.
>
> ardour has the option to stop if an xrun is encountered. I thought that
> ecasound would work the same way.

Hi Laurent,

Not all audio applications support all the functions
available via the JACK API. Ardour gives you the whole
kitchen sink, and if you need it, Ardour may be a good
choice.

Ecasound gives you transport control and a few different
ways of connecting to JACK clients.

There are some higher level ways to control Ecasound,
such as Nama. Additional JACK support may be easier
to implement at that level, but has been blocked for some time.

> Is there a way to know which process in the graph generates an xrun ?

The primary documentation for JACK at http://jackaudio.org
will likely have answers, and you can also get advice on the
Linux Audio Users mailing list.

regards,

Joel

> BR,
> Laurent

> > éléandar wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > i'm using ecasound 2.9.1 and i'm using the following command line:
> > >
> > > ecasound -c -i Bass.wav -o jack,system -z:xruns
> > >
> > > According to the man page: With ’-z:xruns’, processing will be halted if
> > an
> > > under/overrun occurs.
> > >
> > > It doesn't seem to work on my system setup. The processing continue even
> > if
> > > several xruns messages appear in qjackctl.
> >
> > > Do you have any tips to make it work ?
> >
> > I can speculate that Ecasound will only respond to xruns
> > that it generates. Probably Ecasound is not aware of xruns
> > occurring elsewhere in the JACK graph.
> >
> > The setup you are posting does not require JACK at all,
> > and if you do it using ALSA, Ecasound may respond to
> > xruns more comprehensively.
> >
> > > ecasound -c -i Bass.wav -o alsa,default -z:xruns
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Joel
> >
> > > BR,
> > > Laurent