Re: [ecasound] loop input/output

From: Raphaël Mouneyres <rmouneyres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 18 2013 - 14:17:13 EET

Hi Joel,

> Hmm. This looks similar to Nama's "send bus" feature,
> in which the raw or processed signal from all tracks in the bus
> get sent to another destination (such as a musician's
> monitor) via auxiliary tracks with faders.

that's exactly what it is. I've been considering nama for a while
(thanks to Julien help also). But at the end, i do need to remote
control the system, and ecasound TCP ECI interface is just perfect and
working as is. Setting up something similar with nama looks too
complicated to me. On the other hand, nama has really great features.
I'll see how things are going on.

> Cool. If you do it in separate processes, you have
> a possibility to change one part without interrupting
> other parts. If you don't need that flexibility,
> why not do one mighty chain setup?

thus my experiments. All the static "cables" are within the same
ecasound sesion (microphones, foh, fx sends, and musicians monitors)
from jack endpoints to hardware inputs or outputs.
Then more ecasound sessions are started with various parameters for
each song (drums submix, audio players, mutitrack audio recorder,
ecamonitor....) and they won't interrupt the master foh mix and blow
away the speakers ;)

> Probably you're aware that the Ecasound -b parameter (buffersize
> in samples) controls the latency of a loop device.

mmm, i haven't played with this one yet. My test with vocals,
guitar,bass and keyboards where totally acceptable with a 64 buffer on
jackd settings and ecasound (i use a HDSP9652@email-addr-hidden). I'm just waiting
for the drummer to come in an complain about the latency ! As we use
an edrum, there is more latency than only the audio one.
So i can have a lower latency on the ecasound side and reduce loop
latency ? It will probably increase the CPU ?

>> I'd wish OSC remote control to work as good as midi controls for a perfect
>> setup.
>
> You could submit it as a bug.[1] Perhaps
> that will encourage Kai to take a look?

i'll do that.

Raphaël