Re: [ecasound] Using Nama - troubleshooting fades

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 30 2012 - 21:43:16 EET

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 08:05:35PM +0100, Lars Bj??rndal wrote:
> One more question:
>
> On ma., des. 10, 2012 at 10:28:00 +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > Hello Lars!
> > Fades are easy. Change to your first_movement track like this:
> > nama> first_movement
> > Now add a mark at 0 seconds. I think there was a standard mark, but I forgot
> > it's name:
> > sp 0.0 # setpos 0, i.e. start
> > mark my_start
>
> When doing this, I get the following error message:
>
> This position is already marked by "first_start"
>
> which is completely wrong, since I'm now at the second track, which I
> call sec.

Hi Lars,

Nama's marks do not belong to any particular track.
That is something I'm thinking about changing, since there
are situations that you would want to the marks to shift
with the track when the track is moved along the timeline.

(Nama doesn't have an explicit timeline, either, zero is
position zero in the Ecasound setup.)

> > Now use sh to see the length of the track/region first_movement:
> > nama> sh
> > There's one line which tells you its length. Move playhead to that position.
> > Say it's at 318.6 seconds.
> > sp 318.6
> > nama> mark first_real_end
>
> This position is also marked due to using marks to making regions.
>
> > Now you're ready to add the fades. Fade in from mark my_start over 0.5s:
> > nama> fade in my_start 0.5
>
> Even though I was not able to set the marks, I tried, using the
> already defined mark, and I ended up with a completely silent track.

To troubleshoot, I would suggest using the show_track
command to look at the effects on the track. You should
see something like this:

AQ: Volume
    1. Level %: 0
CPT: Generic linear envelope
    1. param-id: 1
    2. range-low: 0
    3. range-high: 100
    4. point_count: 4
    5: 2
    6: 0
    7: 2.5
    8: 1
    9: 5
    10: 1
    11: 5.5
    12: 0

You can also use the list_fade command to see all fades
on all tracks (note to self, what about per-track fade
listings?)

> Sorry to bother you.

Not at all. Your feedback is helping to make Nama better!

Regards,

Joel

--
Joel Roth