Re: [ecasound] Bug report: etm consumes too much CPU

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 26 2012 - 14:41:44 EEST

Hi,

On Sat, 19 May 2012, S. Massy wrote:

> Within the context of investigating ways to perform latency compensation
> in nama, I ran the following test. I created a chain setup with a
> hundred chains with rtnull at either end and a delay op on each,
> either etd or etm. With etd, I only get a slight overhead (about 3% on
> my 2.26ghz dual-core processor), while etm goes right through the roof
> and has tonnes of xruns. I figure that can't be right. Please find the

I digged this a bit and this seems to be a downside of how "-etm" is
implemented. It iterates the channels separately, and with many/most
data sets, this makes it much (2x to 3x) slower than "-etd".

OTOH, I think both "-etd" and "-etm" are a bit too complicated and
special-purpose for simple delay compenstation use. I did a quick
benchmark of a few LADSPA delay lines, and many are much faster. I'd
suggest using e.g. "delay_n" (from swh-plugins) or "delay_5s" (from
ladspa-sdk). These are faster than any ecasound delay op, and are
installed on most people's machines.