Re: [ecasound] Double-buffering and audio

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 14 2012 - 21:28:03 EEST

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 02:24:19AM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 12 May 2012, S. Massy wrote:
>
> >When double-buffering is enabled, if one issues stop and start, there is an
> >audible "gap" in the audio, i.e some samples are never played back. Is
> >that a bug or a feature?
>
> with JACK+transport enabled, you may miss some samples at start as
> JACK doesn't wait for clients. This shouldn't happen though if
> ecasound is the transport master (sending the start/stop commands).
>
> Without JACK (or transport disabled), there should be no missed
> samples. If position is changed, the disk i/o buffers are refilled
> with the new position. Without position change, buffers should not
> be touched so position should not change.
Even with JACK transport completely disabled, I still see the same
behaviour. Try it with a big db size, such as 192000 (3 seconds at 48k),
it should be pretty obvious. Could it possibly be that its buffering
from playhead position rather than position-dbsize? In any case,
something seems off.

Cheers,
S.M.