[ecasound] 'circular' use of loop devices?

From: James Mckernon <jmckernon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 14 2012 - 15:24:33 EEST

Hi, all!

I'm trying to experiment with some experimental effects paths within
ecasound - in particular, ones that involve 'circular' chains, whose input
and output are the same loop device. I'm thinking something along the lines
of the following:

ecasound -a:1 -i:input.mp3 -o:loop,1 -a:2 -i:loop,1 -o:alsa -a:3 -i:loop,1
[some_effects_here] -o:loop,1

with the effects in question including both a delay line and a
The above, however, seems to crash with the following puzzling errors:

* ecasound v2.7.0 (C) 1997-2009 Kai Vehmanen and others
(eca-chainsetup) Chainsetup "untitled-chainsetup"
(eca-session) NOTE: Unable to create a valid chainsetup from the
... command-line arguments.
(eca-chainsetup) Unable to connect: Chain "1" is not valid. Following
... errors were detected:
(eca-chainsetup) Chain "1" is not connected to any output. All chains must
... have exactly one valid output. (2.2-NO-CHAIN-OUTPUT)
(eca-chainsetup) Unable to connect: Chain "2" is not valid. Following
... errors were detected:
(eca-chainsetup) Chain "2" is not connected to any input. All chains must
... have exactly one valid input. (2.1-NO-CHAIN-INPUT)
(eca-chainsetup) WARNING: Input "loop" is not connected to any chain.
... (3.1-DISCON-INPUT)
(eca-chainsetup) WARNING: Output "loop" is not connected to any chain.
... (3.2-DISCON-OUTPUT)
Warning: type DBC_NEVER_REACHED soft-assert '(null)' failed at
 -> eca-control-main.cpp:63 [(null)]

Funnily enough, the closely related setup,
ecasound -a:1 -i:input.mp3 -o:loop,1 -a:2 -i:loop,1 -o:alsa -a:3 -i:loop,2
[some_effects_here] -o:loop,2
seems to instantiate without any problems.

Is there any way to achieve what I'm attempting, or is it a hard limitation
of the engine? (I'm open to 'creative'/hacky solutions...) If it isn't
currently possible, does anyone have any idea whether or not it would
feasible to make it possible in the future, and/or how much work this would
require?

Thanks!