[ecasound] deprecating C pyecasound impl

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 14 2012 - 11:28:50 EEST

Hello,

I'm about to slowly deprecate the C implementation of pyecasound. If
someone feels strongly about this, now is the time to raise your concerns.
Note that python ECI support is NOT going away, just one of its
implementations.

What

----
For background, ecasound has two implementations of ECI for Python. One is
an actual C implementation that uses Python.h module API, while another
one is purely written in python.
Currently the native C implementation is enabled by defalt for Linux
systems, while others (OS X, Cygwin, *BSD, Solaris) default to Python
impl. The first step is to default to Python implemenatation for all
platforms. You can get the old impl back by passing
"--enable-pyecasound=c" to configure.
Why
---
Nowadays, there aren't really any performance differences between the
implementations, so it's only a question of whether the Python
implementation is reliable enough. And that should be the case as it's
been now around since 2.2.2 (2003).
The main reason for dropping the C implementation is that it's a PITA to
maintain, especially nowadays with different major python versions in
widespread use (python-2.6, 2.7, 3.x). The C implementation needs to find
the correct Python.h, it needs to install to the correct site-packages
directory, and handle cases like the recently reported problem of finding
correct site-package directory in 32/64bit systems. I'm still using the
old python-2.5 in my debian machine, and have little interest or
motivation to start chasing these myriad of issues.
When
----
I'll be changing the default in configure script now and it'll be in the
next release.