[ecasound] ECI command timing limitations

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 09:29:23 EEST

Hello list,

I'm wondering if Ecasound buffers ECI commands
it receives, or if there are any timing limitations.

The background is that I have a user report of some troubles
with Nama related to the solo function. Solo generates a
series of commands (c-select, cop-select, copp-select,
copp-set) and repeats this based on the track count.

Other ECI commands get sent periodically to check
on the Ecasound engine status.

I have assumed that the socket send and receive interactions
are atomic and that Ecasound isn't easily overwhelmed,
however this report prompts me to inquire further.

The issue is also relevant as Nama sometimes issues
command bursts, for example tapering the volume level
on transport start/stop.

Thanks,

Joel

--