Re: [ecasound] Ecalength and m4a files

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Jul 17 2011 - 23:03:32 EEST

Hi Navneeth!
   I rarely have use for m4a files. But I've seen something similar with OGG
files. If it's the same problem, then you won't have luck with ecalength, as
far as I understand.
   to read m4a files, Ecasound uses extnerla programs. Ecasound can open and
play them, by something like:
oggdec -o - FILE.ogg
and Ecasound then reads the STDOUT "-" and puts that decoded audio to the
Soundcard or wherever you please. But this way you can't tell the length of a
file. You might try the sndfile-programs. There's sndfile-info. Maybe they
have built-in support for that. Though I'd doubt it. Still, that doesn't say
much.
   Otherwise just try looking for alac, m4a tools. I'm sure there must be
something. There is faac and faad and maybe something else. If not, maybe even
they can be used to find the length of a file, with some clever scripting.
   Sorry, for not being more specific. Still ecalength isn't your way, unless
you convert to wav along the way.
   Warm regards
              Julien

--------