Re: [ecasound] Switch (similar to -gc) but with one more perimeter

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 01:53:47 EEST

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 01:03:13PM -0700, linux media 4 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've re-written the Auto Punch-In System on my Ecasound Front End many
> times (as better Ecasound features where introduced). The '-gc' and
> '-gm' switches were the big step forward in allowing a robust and
> responsive Auto Punch-In System, so I have been designing it around
> those switches.
>
> Kai, would it be possible to create a switch... much like '-gc'... but
> with one more perimeter that allows to re-open the gate once it's been
> closed? I feel confident that this would be the last needed switch to
> make this Punch-In System completely robust.
>
> This is the explanation...
>
> The punch-in system requires that certain chains to do the following at
> any given time...
>
> play_for_time_period --> silent_for_time_period -->
> play_for_remaining_time_period
>
> But the part that makes using '-gm' less responsive is that for every
> designated punch-in track, the chain (and all it's attached effects
> chains) need to be duplicated. For example... 3 punch-in tracks, each
> with 2 effects, mean that 18 chains have to be created. And chains have
> to be turned on/off (-gm) and the punch points need to be configured
> (-gc) 'on the fly', once the user makes their choice and prior to the
> chain playing.
>
> On top of the (above)... the user has many choices of how to 'set up the
> punch points', 'test the punch points', 'record the punch-in' and then
> 'audition the recorded punch-in'. This means creating a massive 'Master
> Chainsetup' with all possibilities included so there's not a break prior
> to playing the chainsetup because of removing and adding chainsetups.
>
> If you could create the requested switch, then this would reduce the
> amount of chains to be configured (on the fly) to half. Imagine how much
> more responsive that would be in a particularly huge punch-in setup.

Hi Rocco,

I'm reading with interest, having attempted a punch-in style
edit feature for Nama. I say "attempted" as it is
more-or-less done, but not really torture-tested.

I'd like to understand your use case better.

I thought punch-in was something used correct a
note or phrase. I would imagine it effectively
replacing a segment of a WAV file with something
else.

If so, why would you punch three chains/tracks/WAV files
at once? And how does that lead to 18 chains?

Sorry if this is a naive question :-)

With Nama, the edit process is similar to the one you
describe above. It begins by setting punch points: playback
start, record start and record end.

Instead of using gates (which I didn't even think
of) Nama uses fades.

The auditioning choices are three:

1. the original track with edit section removed
2. the edit section only
3. the original track with the newly recorded edit

Nama copes with changes in REC/MON status of tracks
by regenerating the chain setup as necessary. Sort
of like auto recalculating a spreadsheet.

At one point I worked on restoring the playback
position after regenerating chain setup, if the
new setup is sufficiently similar.

The actual network got a bit complicated during
an edit:

track alias ---+

edit track ----+-- original track (effects) --- Master (fader) --- output

The original track becomes a bus that mixes signals from the
original track (faded out for the edit) and the edit.

You can record several edits, and choose one. (That
uses Nama's track "version" feature. Some DAWs call
it "takes".)

There is a "merge_edits" command that mixes the original
WAV file with the edit(s) to create a new version of the
original track. The original then gets demoted from a bus
into a regular track.

This whole process means that both the original and edited
signal pass through the same effects. The presence of
additional loop devices introduce additional latency, but I
believe that is tolerable with a sufficiently fast soundcard.

Is your front end for your personal use, or is there a
URL to download, inspect and possibly test (torture? :-)

Good luck with your project. It's satisfying to make
Ecasound jump through hoops, isn't it? :-)

Joel

> Thanks,
> Rocco

Joel Roth