Re: [ecasound] Wanted: examples of using the file update/readwrite mode

From: linux media 4 <linuxmedia4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 20 2010 - 00:44:22 EEST

On 09/19/2010 04:13 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I see that the -X flag sets this mode, but how does it work
> in practice?
>
> Can anyone point me to some basic examples?
>
> I'm contemplating a punch-in/punch-out function.
> Perhaps this mode will help me...
>
> Joel

Hi,

Here's one way of explaining it...

You have an audio file of 120 seconds that you recorded guitar on...
You want to record over the part between 30 and 60 seconds...

This is what would happen with the two different modes...

With -X (Open outputs for updating)...
* The (old) guitar parts from 0 to 30 seconds would be unaltered...
* The (new) guitar part from 30 to 60 seconds would be recorded
successfully...
* All the old parts from 60 to 120 seconds would also be unaltered...
(You just "updated" the parts you recorded over)

With -x (Truncate outputs)...
* The (old) guitar parts from 0 to 30 would be gone (ecasound would pad
that area with silence)...
* The (new) guitar part from 30 to 60 seconds would be recorded
successfully.
* All the old parts from 60 to 120 seconds would not be there.
(The audio file would 60 seconds in length because the file was "truncated")

With -x, it seems to work slightly differently when running in
interactive mode and non-interactive mode. The simplest scenario is with
non-interactive mode in which the file is as long as you record for each
individual time and is all new audio each time. But you'll have to
experiment with interactive mode to get to know exactly how that works
with -x.

Hope that helps,
Rocco