Re: [ecasound] RIFF header problem

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 15 2010 - 14:09:12 EEST

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:57:06PM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-09-15 12:18:18 +0200:
> > Kai,
> >
> > I'd just like to thank you for Ecasound's -ddd debugging
> > mode, which enabled me to catch a significant bug in Nama.
> >
> > It seems that a mono RIFF header written to output file
> > "great_1.wav" in a previous engine configuration step, was
> > forcing a subsequent stereo recording into mono:
> >
> > (eca-chainsetup) NOTE: using existing audio parameters
> > -f:s16_le,1,44100
> > ... for object 'great_1.wav'
> > (tried to open
> > ... with -f:s16_le,2,44100).
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Joel
> >
> > --
> > Joel Roth
>
> If it's the same file that's what I'd expect to happen, never thought
> about that though. It's something to keep in mind, thanks.

Philipp,

Ecasound respecting the format of an existing WAV file *is*
expected.

Having the RIFF stub file sitting around there was *not*
expected but Ecasound told me what influenced its decision.

> What did ecasound do exactly? Downmix stereo to mono or just forget
> about additional channels?

It was a user bug report, so I didn't inspect the files
directly.

I am pretty sure that Ecasound just threw away the other
channel. (Ecasound doesn't usually reconfigure itself without
being directed to do so.)

Joel

--
Joel Roth