Re: [ecasound] Compiletime warnings

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 14:26:04 EEST

Hi,

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010, Philipp wrote:

> jack_client_new() is deprecated since quite a long time. Use
> jack_client_open() instead:
> http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/group__ClientFunctions.html#ga28977ad0cccf08cd600dd220e2b1c880

this is now fixed in ecasound's git tree and will be in the next release.

I did not change to jack_client_open() immediately as I didn't want
to force people to update their JACK version (e.g. Debian provided a very
old JACK for a long time) for this reason alone. But of course,
jack_client_new() was deprecated in 2004, so it's about time for really
stop using it in ecasound as well. Apologies to everyone still using a
pre-2004 JACK in their systems! ;)

> This is a very common warning since a couple of gcc versions, 4.2 or 4.3.
>
> eca-curses.cpp:91:23: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ?char*?
> eca-curses.cpp:95:23: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ?char*?
> textdebug.cpp:160:27: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ?char*?
> textdebug.cpp:179:27: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ?char*?

I believe this is a bug in the ncurses package on your system. On my
systems (mostly Debian), tigetstr() takes a 'const char*' param (so I
don't get the warning).

> /usr/include/python2.6/pyconfig.h:1040:0: warning: "_XOPEN_SOURCE" redefined
> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
> libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'

This a bug in the python2.6 package (pyconfig.h should not unconditionally
redefine _XOPEN_SOURCE).

Despite me dodging the bullet with these, it's still a good idea to report
any warnings (especially new ones) when building Ecasound.