Re: [ecasound] Ecasound and jack (and chains)

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 23:31:47 EEST

Excerpts from Kai Vehmanen's message of 2010-08-18 10:17:16 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, linux media 4 wrote:
>
> > I know there's c-bypass, but that just disables chain operators. I
> > wonder if it would be a major project for Kai to write into the code the
> > ability to block signal going to a chain. Or possibly implement some
>
> 'c-mute' perhaps? That's been available for ages and sends zeroes to
> the output.
>
> > kind of internal variable that when a flag was set (possibly c-null)
> > would internally exchange 'AudioFileOut.wav' with 'null' and back again
> > when toggled.
>
> ... or perhaps not. Muted chains still send samples to the output, so
> maybe this is not what you are looking for in this case.
>
> This is a bit more difficult as with some outputs (e.g. JACK outputs),
> client must always send some samples (even if just zeroes), while for
> most you can stop sending data altogther (file outputs).
>
> The only mechanism that comes close are the gates (-gc and -ge), but these
> are not directly usable in this case. Maybe a trivial boolean gate
> (-gb) would do the job (e.g. gate has one on/off parameter which can be
> set in real-time to stop/restart flow of samples through it).

Ah, I didn't think of that possibility (haven't looked at chain
operators yet). "When closed, passing audio buffers are trucated to
zero length." I would have expected that to work differently too :)
The problem is that -gc requires a length parameter?

--
Philipp