Re: [ecasound] Ecasound and jack (and chains)

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 18 2010 - 11:17:16 EEST

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, linux media 4 wrote:

> I know there's c-bypass, but that just disables chain operators. I
> wonder if it would be a major project for Kai to write into the code the
> ability to block signal going to a chain. Or possibly implement some

'c-mute' perhaps? That's been available for ages and sends zeroes to
the output.

> kind of internal variable that when a flag was set (possibly c-null)
> would internally exchange 'AudioFileOut.wav' with 'null' and back again
> when toggled.

... or perhaps not. Muted chains still send samples to the output, so
maybe this is not what you are looking for in this case.

This is a bit more difficult as with some outputs (e.g. JACK outputs),
client must always send some samples (even if just zeroes), while for
most you can stop sending data altogther (file outputs).

The only mechanism that comes close are the gates (-gc and -ge), but these
are not directly usable in this case. Maybe a trivial boolean gate
(-gb) would do the job (e.g. gate has one on/off parameter which can be
set in real-time to stop/restart flow of samples through it).