Re: [ecasound] Nama/Ecasound (was: Re: ecasound and lua?)

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2010 - 00:31:25 EEST

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:11:08PM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> A waveform view is a future feature for nama. So far I've seen only one
> frontend that has anything like that. Is it especially hard to do with
> ecasound?

To start, we could create a graph from the WAV data
for a track. Ecasound isn't even needed for this.
To draw a graph with Tk isn't especially hard.

But if you apply effects, say a fade, then probably you
want to see the processed waveform, not the original.

So it would be necessary to run the engine, record
the track output as a WAV file, and display _that_.

In other words, you would have a processing delay after each
effect tweak before you could see the result. Perhaps that
processing run could could be performed in the background.

> I don't necessarily need it but especially in combination with
> automation it would be a good thing to have.
>
> Said automation is another thing I'm wondering about. Is there a way to
> do proper automation? Via MIDI CC possibly? Is there another way?

If you just need an envelope of some kind, it is already
possible with Ecasound alone. (See CONTROL ENVELOPE SETUP
in the man page.)

Nama already has simple fades, but of course could be
tinkered to do more.

Ecasound effect parameters (whether internal or LADSPA
plugin) can be controlled directly by a MIDI controller.
An intermediate process would be needed for Nama to store
those changes for subsequent replay.

Ardour is ready to do all expected forms of automation
today, and may be your best choice for instant
gratification (minus Ardour's learning curve.)

> I know those are rather advanced features, I'll be glad if I manage to
> write a proof of concept frontend during the next few weeks, but it
> would still be interesting to know what would be possible.

I'm very interested to learn about your concept
as well as your proof. :-)