Re: [ecasound] ecasound and lua?

From: Philipp Überbacher <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 10:17:16 EEST

Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-07-13 23:29:13 +0200:
> > > Please try 'preset-register', the command that failed here,
> > > directly from within Ecasound.
> >
> > $ ecasound -c
> > **************************************************************************
> > * ecasound v2.7.1 (C) 1997-2009 Kai Vehmanen and others
> > **************************************************************************
> > (eca-chainsetup) Chainsetup "untitled-chainsetup"
> > (eca-session) NOTE: Unable to create a valid chainsetup from the command-line arguments.
> > ecasound ('h' for help)> preset-register
> > (eca-control) Registered effect presets:
> >
> > (eca-object-factory) ERROR: Unable to find LADSPA plugin "1205"
> > (audiofx_misc) WARNING! Shift-% must be greater than 12.50%! Limiting to the low-limit.
> > 1. dyn_compress_brutal, -pn:dyn_compress_brutal:gain-%
> > 2. dyn_compress_hard, -pn:dyn_compress_hard:gain-%
> > 3. dyn_compress_infinite, -pn:dyn_compress_infinite:gain-%
> > ..
> >
> > Seems like there's some problem with one of the plugins, maybe nama
> > doesn't like that? I have yet to find the package that contains that
> > plugin.
>
> One of Ecasound's default presets requires LADSPA plugin.
> You don't need this for Ecasound to run correctly.

Yep, thanks, just trying to get rid of errors and warnings.

> > > Most likely, my regular expression is failing.
> > > Unfortunately, my debugging code doesn't list the
> > > unparsed return string. :-(
> > >
> > > I'll put in a fix into the git version, if you'd like
> > > to download and build from there.
> >
> > I do get errors after running ./build:
> >
> > Can't locate Text/Template.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/share/perl5/site_perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl /usr/share/perl5/core_perl /usr/lib/perl5/current /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current .) at ./preproc line 18.
>
> To build you need to install the perl module Text::Template.

Ah, sorry, I read it but thought I had it installed (I had 'Text'
installed, which apparently wasn't sufficient).
Now I only got this:
Cannot determine license info from lib/Audio/Nama.pm
Checking if your kit is complete...
Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
        META.yml
        Please inform the author.
        Writing Makefile for Audio::Nama

> > > I still recommend this.
> >
> > It's done.
>
> Nama will default to using libecasoundc (via Audio::Ecasound).
>
> To test for the bug in Nama's Net-ECI interface, start
> Nama with the -n flag.

nama seems to start normally with -n now.

> > > Probably you should try using /home/username/audio-projects
> > > in .namarc.
> >
> > Ha, wouldn't have thought about that, but it works! Nama starts!
>
> Thanks to your discovery (and my fix), you can now use ~/audio-projects
> in .namarc.
>
> You'll need to pull the latest version.

Seems to work, thanks.

> > It seems to parse -g, but the gui doesn't start and I don't see an
> > error. I do have tk installed: tk 8.5.8
>
> For the GUI to work, you need to install perl's Tk module.
> That is different from the standalone tk.
>
> The GUI adds a bit of convenience, and is sufficient
> for the basic recording and effects processing you're
> interested in.

Ok, I got it to work, but I found it to be a bit strange that it didn't
complain about the missing perl Tk module.

> > > You should be able to use naked Ecasound to accomplish what
> > > you like, although it may take a bit of fiddling to learn
> > > how to do it efficiently.
> >
> > I learn a bit of bare ecasound, to see what it's capable of and how it
> > works. There are still a lot of open questions.
>
> It does take some time to get aquainted. That was
> one motivation that spurred me to write Nama.

Oh, another thing I like to have is some concept of 'takes'. I didn't
have time to actually use nama yet, but I've seen a 'Version' button,
which I guess is what I'm looking for.

> > > Nama is trying to fill that niche and has the advantage of
> > > quite a bit of cumulative development effort. :-)
>
> > Thanks for looking into that. I'm looking forward to using nama. I would
> > probably nick the one or the other thing from nama, but I heard that
> > perl is pretty much a write-only language :)
>
> You can write write-only code in any language :-)
>
> And you _can_ write readable code in perl.
>
> The Nama codebase has grown to about 10,000 lines.
> Seems like a lot just to do simple recording, doesn it?
> I started writing procedural code, and gradually
> introduced OO, which has made it possible to handle
> all the complexity.

It really does seem a lot, but what do I know :)

> > Well, the quest goes on :)
>
> Yes, my aim was to create something that people could
> install and have it *just work*. I think I'm getting
> closer. :-)
>
> The command language is relatively simple.
> To record a single from soundcard channel 1:
>
> create test_project
> add piano
> start

I noticed that ecasound defaults to two channels, I often want just one,
and usually that's not the first one. Well, I'll have a closer look at
all three interfaces to see how to achieve that. It seems like the main
obstacles are out of the way or at least known now; I can start to use
Ecasound/Nama :)

One new 'problem' popped up however. I get a segfault whenever I quit
nama in GUI mode. -n or not doesn't matter, Quit button or ctrl+c on the
commandline doesn't matter either.

No chain setup, engine not ready.
nama ('h' for help)> No user tracks, skipping...
Exiting...
Segmentation fault

No such problem with nama -t.
I guess you'll need some kind of backtrace? If so, please tell me the
exact command, I always get confused with this stuff.

--
Regards,
Philipp