Re: [ecasound] ecasound and lua?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 10 2010 - 16:53:28 EEST

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:40:46AM +0200, Philipp ??berbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from Joel Roth's message of 2010-07-10 01:47:15 +0200:

> > > Making mistakes is something I was always afraid to do :)
> >
> > Eh! My whole life seems to be built on lessons learned by
> > a series of mistakes.
>
> I think sometime early in my life the 'be prepared' message came over
> too strong, so since then I'm preparing and trying to be ready, to avoid
> mistakes,... for everything...

I've got some of that, too, but more in the social realm
(where it bred stiffness, frozen fear and artificiality).

Writing code, it's write-test-write-test.... Modestly
endowed monkeys plus a feedback loop. :-)

A nice thing about dynamic languages is the compile phase is
simpler, and you often have the ability to evaluate code at
runtime.

> > > I'm not on a debian based system, and it seems I need to package nama
> > > myself, but I guess it won't be too hard. I also need to get my
> > > distribution to build ecasound with jack support though.
> > > I heard a lot of good things about nama from Julien, I'll certainly try
> > > it.
> >
> > Julien++ has certainly been the most active tester, user
> > and proponent. :-)
> >
> > You should be able to install it if you have perl version 5.10
> > or later on your system.
> >
> > Try (usually as root)
> >
> > cpan Audio::Nama
> >
> > You can also read a little about it at:
> >
> > http://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html
>
> I think I managed to package it for my distribution yesterday, but it
> was my very first perl package, so it could probably be done better.
> That cpan stuff is _weird_. The fact that every little perl module needed
> to be packaged separately didn't make things smoother :)

Hmmm. Which distribution are you using?

A lot of people just compile perl, install it in
/usr/local/, and let cpan install the modules.

Even if you go through your packaging system, the final
result is still a bunch of code sitting in hierarchical
directories. :-)

(My next perl installation will be in my home directory,
so that I can do absolutely all software installation, including
man pages, without root permissions.)

> What I didn't tell you is that I'm involved as tester/user in the Traverso
> project, where I got the title 'bug creator'. Naturally I have to honour
> my name, so here's the first nama bug I ran into:

Well, I had to look at Traverso. It seems very cool.
I'll take my time installing it. Debian wants me to do a
heart transplant, which I'd need a backup for first. :-)

I'm looking at the downloadable installer, which will
be nice if it gives me an independent, statically compiled
executable.

Nice you could be a head bugge,... bugfinder/creator.
And for Nama, too. :-)

> $ nama
> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> / /
> / Nama multitrack recorder v. 1.062 (c)2008-2009 Joel Roth /
> / /
> / Audio processing by Ecasound, courtesy of Kai Vehmanen /
> / /
> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>

> Using existing Ecasound server
> Creating socket on port 2868.
> Regenerating effects data cache
> illegal return value, stopped at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Audio/Nama.pm line 1413.

Yeah, that's a Net-ECI problem. We're supposed to get 256 as
a return value, or we die. :-(

To see what actually happened, try starting Nama with
the -D flag.

(I'm sure I ran into something like this before... just
don't remember the fix.)

To get quickest satisfaction, :-) try installing
Audio::Ecasound. That will be automatically used,
bypassing Net-ECI.

By the way, what kinds of signal processing would
you be wanting to do with Ecasound?

Best,

Joel

[buildscript details omitted]