Re: [ecasound] lot of warning with chmute

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2010 - 20:54:30 EET

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:31:36PM +0100, Dubphil wrote:
> Joel Roth a �crit , Le 15/03/2010 10:27:
> > You haven't said exactly what you are trying to do.
> > You seem to want to selective mute each channel
> > of a stereo signal. This is how I would do it for one
> > stereo signal (untested).
> >
> > -a:j1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
> > -eac:1,100 -km:2,0,100,60,1 # MIDI control amplification to channel 1
> > -eac:2,100 -km:2,0,100,60,2 # MIDI control amplification to channel 2
> > -o:jack
> >

> in fact a mute button is not really setting the amplification to 0, I
> really need to mute the stereo channel by switching off the sound and
> when I switch on the sound the level must stay at the value it has
> before the switch off. That's why chmute is exactly what I need.

Well, you can have any number of amplification operators in
the chain! One you can toggle between 0 and 100, the other
you can set to the volume you like.

For your interest, Nama does have a mute function. It cuts
in and out gradually, and also is used at transport
start/stop so the sound tapers smoothly.

I implemented it by saving and restoring the original volume
value, however, I like this idea of using a separate -ea (or
-eadb) operator for muting. It would simplify things a bit.

I can look at your .ecs file. An explanation of what
you want to accomplish might also help.

There is a good chance Nama can provide the signal flow
that you want.

Nowadays, Nama has two kinds of buses: Send buses are mainly
for instrument monitors, and sub buses for grouping signals
together. It also has post-fader inserts for running signals
through JACK clients or external effects boxes. I am just
finishing up code that will allow pre-fader inserts as well,
although somewhat lacking what the Perl community calls
"tuits" (as in I'll get around to it <groan>)

Best,

Joel

> > Probably you understand that -f:32_le,2,4800 -i:jack creates (but
> > does not connect) ports ecasound:in_1 and ecasound:in_2.
> > Likewise for -o:jack, you need to use jack_connect or
> > qjackctl to make the connections to the audio device.
> > (For connecting directly to the soundcard, you would
> > use -i:jack,system.)
> >

> yes of course, but I have a patchbay setup in Qjackctrl so no problem
> about this.
>
> > What I don't know is if your MIDI button can be programmed
> > to toggle between 0 and 100. A range of 0 to 1 would
> > make work if you added an additional 100x amplification
> > factor.
> >
> > -a:j1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
> > -ea:10000
> > -eac:1,1 -km:2,0,1,60,1
> > -eac:2,1 -km:2,0,1,60,2
> > -o:jack
> >
> > Hope that gives you some useful ideas.
> >

> hey good idea, i never suspect that we could play with values like this
> in ecasound :)
> In fact, my button is programmed to toggle to 0 and 127, but as I said
> below, I really nedd something that doesn't touch to the amplification
> value.
>
> > I think Nama would allow you to apply these
> > same chain operators.
>
> My .ecs is far far more complex than the example I paste in this thread,
> when I'm back to home I will send it to you.
>
> > The CPAN version is outdated.
> > The current git master version is okay. Julien
> > has been using it for a while and isn't complaining. :-)
> >
> > Development has become a bit safer as we now have enough test
> > coverage to know when new features are wreaking havoc.
> >
> > I'm waiting for one last feature to land before
> > announcing a new release. This next release will also include a
> > Debian package in 'unstable'.
> >

> good news !
>
> Cheers
>
> Philippe