Re: [ecasound] lot of warning with chmute

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2010 - 11:27:49 EET

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:10:04AM +0100, Dubphil wrote:
> Joel Roth a écrit , Le 15/03/2010 08:17:
> > Hi Philippe,
> > According to the docs, the -chmute parameter is a channel
> > number.
> >
> > Probably you are not getting the result you want if
> > you are expecting -chmute to behave as an on/off function
> > taking zero as an argument, which your -km range assignment
> > (0,2) suggests.
> >
> > The warning looks right to me, since you are assigning
> > zero to from_channel.
> >

> Thanks Joel, what do I need to give to the km range values parameters
> then ?
>
> -km:1.00,0.00,0.00,60.00,1.00 ?
>
> Sorry for not seeing this obvious.

> I have this minimal example :
>
> -b:128 -r:-1 -z:intbuf -z:db,100000 -n:"test" -X -z:noxruns -z:nopsr
> -z:mixmode,avg
> -Md:alsaseq,
> -a:j1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
> -a:j2 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
> -a:j1 -chmute:1 -km:1.00,0.00,1.00,60.00,1.00 -chmute:2
> -km:1.00,0.00,2.00,60.00,1.00
> -a:j2 -chmute:1 -km:1.00,0.00,1.00,60.00,2.00 -chmute:2
> -km:1.00,0.00,2.00,60.00,2.00
> -a:j1,j2 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -o:jack

Philippe,

You haven't said exactly what you are trying to do.

You seem to want to selective mute each channel
of a stereo signal. This is how I would do it for one
stereo signal (untested).

-a:j1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
-eac:1,100 -km:2,0,100,60,1 # MIDI control amplification to channel 1
-eac:2,100 -km:2,0,100,60,2 # MIDI control amplification to channel 2
-o:jack

Probably you understand that -f:32_le,2,4800 -i:jack creates (but
does not connect) ports ecasound:in_1 and ecasound:in_2.
Likewise for -o:jack, you need to use jack_connect or
qjackctl to make the connections to the audio device.
(For connecting directly to the soundcard, you would
use -i:jack,system.)

What I don't know is if your MIDI button can be programmed
to toggle between 0 and 100. A range of 0 to 1 would
make work if you added an additional 100x amplification
factor.

-a:j1 -f:f32_le,2,48000 -i:jack
-ea:10000
-eac:1,1 -km:2,0,1,60,1
-eac:2,1 -km:2,0,1,60,2
-o:jack

Hope that gives you some useful ideas.

For even more flexibility it would be nice to be able to
intercept MIDI commands and translate them into what is
actually needed. The Midish utility is a start in that
direction.

For a while I was exploring whether I could write such a
utility in Perl (possibly as a part of Nama), however
I got hung up on how to detect input without
resorting to polling. (It's a slow self-education
in applied computer science!)

I think Nama would allow you to apply these
same chain operators. The CPAN version is outdated.
The current git master version is okay. Julien
has been using it for a while and isn't complaining. :-)

Development has become a bit safer as we now have enough test
coverage to know when new features are wreaking havoc.

I'm waiting for one last feature to land before
announcing a new release. This next release will also include a
Debian package in 'unstable'.

Best,

Joel

> Cheers
>
> Philippe
>
> PS: Joel, I have tested Namma, but it is not suited to my .ecs script
> (or I did not find the way to achieve it), would you mind tell me if it
> could be done with my .ecs ? If you are ok I will send you my script.

Joel Roth