Re: [ecasound] 64bit float DSProcessing?

From: Klaus Schulz <kls.schlz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 16 2010 - 11:31:04 EET

Hi Kai.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:14 AM, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Klaus Schulz wrote:
>
> I am wondering if ecasound allows for 64bit processing on all its
>> effects/filters.
>>
>> If not are there any plans to introduce such a feature.
>>

> plugin/chainops are free to use 64bit floats for their internal processing
> (and many do this already), but for passing data between elements, the 32bit
> floats are used (CF

I think 64bit (double precision) throughout the chain guarantees for lowest
losses. The more you calculate the worse it gets. What does it help to run
your plugins ( e.g. libsamplerate) at 64 bit if the results get cut off
later on.

> to change). For most uses however, this should be sufficient.

Come on. You're always striving for the best. You provide the best audio
engine I came across and then your come up with "and this would be harder to
implement " and "it should
do for most of the people".

64 bit throughout the chain is IMO the way to go to bring losses down to the
absolute minimum. OSX/MS DAWs are ahead of us here - that's bugging me at
least.

Cheers
\Klaus