Re: [ecasound] streaming with ecasound

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 01 2009 - 23:58:56 EEST

--- On Thu, 10/1/09, Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Simon Eigeldinger <simon.eigeldinger@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: [ecasound] streaming with ecasound
> To: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Thursday, October 1, 2009, 1:36 PM
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to ecasound and maybe this question is quite
> offten asked:
>
> When i use ecasound to record something i can do it this
> way and it
> works:
> ecasound -i alsa -o bla.wav
>
> But when i want to pipe it to lame and then into a
> streaming program
> like that i get white noise:
> ecasound -i alsa -o stdout | lame -b 64 - - | ezstream -c
> config.xml
>
> Maybe someone knows what is the issue?
>
> Thanks for helping.
>
> Greetings,
> Simon

I don't know the exact answer, but from my experience one should take
utmost care ensuring that format and sample rate are the same for all
chain elements of the chain.

At the moment sound is pushed through pipe there is no way for the
receiving end to know what format and sample rate are - there are no
headers which contain this info.

So, one has to explicitly specify format and sample rate.

Also, as a general advice, add chain elements one by one and make sure
the chain operates correctly - do not try to debug all at once.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. Saying "chain" I mean

foo | bar | doo | dah | etc

, i.e. a chain of programs passing data through pipes.