Re: [ecasound] schedule effects

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 21:57:45 EEST

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:36:33PM +0200, laurent schwartz wrote:
> Hello Julien,
>
> I've a laptop dell inspiron 1525 (cpuinfo):
>
> model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
> cpu MHz : 1995.081
> cache size : 1024 KB
> bogomips : 3993.60
>
> The cpu is not smp.
>
> /proc/asound/cards:
>
> 0 [UM1 ]: USB-Audio - UM-1
> EDIROL UM-1 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-4.3.4, full speed
> 1 [default ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio CODEC
> Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC at
> usb-0000:00:1d.7-4.7, full
> 2 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
> HDA Intel at 0xfe9fc000 irq 19
>
> Your hardware is older than mine ... It is a problem with my setup !
>
> I found a new setup configuration that gives me better result with jackd:
> /usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:2 -r44100 -p256 -n4 -Xseq:
>
> Latency displayed by qjackctl: 11,6 ms
>
> If i do not use the computer while playing audio ... no xrun appears with
> alsaplayer (playing mp3 file) for 10 mn.

> Otherwise xruns occur when using the windowing system ...

Hi Laurent,

For any kind of multitrack audio recording, you are better
off working with WAV files. MP3 decoding takes quite a bit
of CPU.

With your system, working with WAV files, I think you may
be able to run a lightweight windowing system. KDE and Gnome
are known CPU hogs. (I normally use fvwm, and have been
trying StumpWM, a lisp-based WM that works similar to
Gnu Screen.)

Graphic recorders such as Ardour, Audacity and various
Ecasound front-ends may also work okay for you. Ardour
and Ecasound perform effects processing while the transport runs.
Audacity processes the whole track beforehand.

cat /proc/interrupts can tell you something about how your
system works, although you may have limited choices for
fiddling them.

Good luck with all of that,

Joel

--