Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.5.2 wrongly displayes clipping info ?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 23:07:25 EEST

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> One of the nice things about the breakdown is that it can give you a
> rough approximation of your waveform and how compressed it is. You can,
> for example, create an -ev effect and make it play over a section of the
> program just to see how close you're getting to max force and whether
> you are really spiking it or nailing it.

yes, definitely, the breakdown is useful and it is not going anywhere. I
often use it to get an overview of some audio clip/segment (dynamics,
stereo/multichannel image, DC-offsets, ..) without having to leave my
console window. For instance when developing '-chorder', I used '-ev' all
the time to verify that the channel routings are happening correctly.

> I am thinking of this in a form similar to a braille peak meter,
> something I have wondered how hard it would be to create. Sure the data
> is some-what crude and maybe it's not as useful as I would hope, but if
> the functionality exists, let's use it.
[...]
> On a some-what off topic note, perhaps what we want is an amplitude
> controller that takes the chain data as an input and then has some sort
> of method to relay your peaks through pitch, so for example, a forceful
> punch might elevate the pitch of the tone, and the controller could be
> configured on how grandular it wants, i.e. how stiff or springy you want
> it. That might be a better representation than these numbers.

Actually there is such as a feature already. The '-eS' (audio stamper) was
added to 1.9dev1 back in 2001 already. Audio stampers can be inserted in
the audio path (they behave like normal chain ops).

Then to use the stamp contents, one can insert '-ksv', which converts the
amplitude (or optionally, RMS value calculated from the signal) as a
source of control values for any parameter. One could easily implement
more objects like '-ksv' that do actions based on audio stamp contents
(i.e. based on signal amplitude).

> and if this msg gets denied due to lack of subscription, please quote it
> in its entirety when you reply.

The mail email indeed did not reach the list, so quoting it at length in
this mail.