Re: [ecasound] Plea for a new controller

From: Oliver Oli <oliver.oli+0815@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 23:37:52 EEST

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> thanks for these comments! I'm even more convinced now that the OSC
> interface should not be modelled after ECI -- neither in style nor in the
> terms of functionality (=complexity).
>
> Instead, OSC interface should offer simple interface:
>  - transport control (start, stop, seek, live-seek)
>  - parameter control
>  - a small set of toggles (e.g. per-chain mute and bypass)
>  -> i.e. roughly what can be done with MIDI, but with the benefits
>     of OSC (e.g. possibility to pass parameter as floats)
>
> I think we can safely ignore the whole concept of "chainsetup" in the OSC
> interface and instead implicitly operate on the connected objects (the
> "connected chainsetup" in ecasound lingo). This already simplifies the
> interface a great deal. So you'd have:
>
>  - /ecasound/transport run
>  - /ecasound/transport stop
>  - /ecasound/position 0.4
>  - /ecasound/chain/myrec/bypass True
>  - /ecasound/chain/myrec/op/2/param/3 4.5
>  - /ecasound/chain/myrec/op/2/param/cutoff 440.0
>  - .. and so forth..
>
> ... another simplification is not to implement any return values
> (the interface would only allow one-way messaging).

This looks very OSCish :-). What about sending multiple parameters in
one message, like

/ecasound/chain/myrec/op/2 1.0 2.0 3.0 440.0

I also would make the /ecasound prefix optional, most of the time you
don't need it.

Return values or a way to query the state of ecasound and the
parameters would be very nice to have (at least for my purposes). No
idea how you implement it nicely with OSC, I have to take a look at
other OSC interfaces.

I'm all for having the full ECI functionality available through OSC,
but this is a much bigger task and we should discuss this after the
simpler control interface has evolved. I think it can be ignored for
now.