Re: [ecasound] Plea for a new controller

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 00:21:19 EEST

Hello!
   I do understand the niceties of some of the things suggested here. But I
don't really get the problem about having it restful or not so restful. :-)
   I think, that you mostly won't enter your OSC commands by hand anyway. You'd
tell some other tool to do so for you. I did it once via hand with some of the
DSSI synth and it was not pleasant, I'd rather have shot myself in the foot,
if it wasn't for the sounds. :-)
   I also guess, that restricting it to realtime is quite reasonable. There are
so many ways to connect to ecasound (telnet, commandline, IAM, APIs), they all
can serve nicely, if you need a special application and they served to some
already. But there aren't too many convenient ways of realtime chaging: There
MIDI and there's keyboard hacking. But you can't and won't hack sweeps and
other curves and not everyone has MIDI. But most people do have mice or
graphic tablets or touchscreens or other directly computer (as opposed to
audio related) gadgets.
   It sounds like I'm doing the whole basic argument of my plea again, but I
hope at least this time based on a slightly different rationel and a bit based
on the active discussion.
   Warm regards,
          Julien

--------