Re: [ecasound] The install troubles

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 17:02:16 EET

Hi,

cc'ing the list as this might affect other people using the git repository
directly.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, Julien Claassen wrote:

> I told you, that I had a small problem with installing ecasound from the
> git. Here's what I got.
> Attached you find:
> install.log (from gmake install)

Thanks, this is now fixed in the git repo!

The reason for this error is that I wanted to remove the remaining
autogenerated files from the git repository (as they clobber the version
diffs for little benefit). And that's what I did some time ago.

The release tarballs always included the generated documentation files,
so this doesn't impact users of the tarball releases in any way.

But, but, when you fetch the git repo, the generated documentation files
are longer there, but before today's change, the "make install" target
still depended on them. Now I could have added document generation to
the default "make all" target, but this is a bit nasty as generating the
docs requires all kinds of not-so-common tools like yodl, latex and
heave, so it seems bad to require all users of the git repo to have
these tools installed. So I solved this now by removing the dependency to the doc
files from "install". Now if you fetch the git repo, and don't manually
run "make docs", e.g. the manpages are no longer installed. But you can
still get by installing the tools, and then running "make all docs
install".