Re: [ecasound] Loop device behavior oddity

From: Linux Media <linuxmedia4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 03:11:32 EET

>> With the chain setup below, started natively under Ecasound
>> 2.5.2, I can playback the setup okay, and repositioning
>> commands work while the engine is running.
>>
>> Once the engine run is finished, however, if I setpos 0,
>> then start, I get this warning, reprinted a jillion times:
>>
>> (audioio-loop) WARNING: Multiple writes without reads!
>
> This looks identical to the issue reported by Rocco in September last
> year. I now filed this to sf.net tracker with a link to both of your
> reports:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2527049&group_id=4605&atid=104605

I wanted to offer any pointers that may be helpful in tracking down this
bug. I have been working with this for a while. While looking for a
'workaround', I have discovered the nature of the bug.

If you have the following chainsetup file...

### START ECS ###
# audio inputs
-a:10Sec -i:10sec.wav
-a:10Loop -i:loop,10
-a:20Sec -i:20sec.wav
-a:20Loop -i:loop,20
-a:30Sec -i:30sec.wav
-a:30Loop -i:loop,30

# audio outputs
-a:10Sec -o:loop,10
-a:10Loop -o:jack_auto
-a:20Sec -o:loop,20
-a:20Loop -o:jack_auto
-a:30Sec -o:loop,30
-a:30Loop -o:jack_auto
### END ECS ###

... if '10sec.wav' is done processing (and the engine is still running
but '20sec.wav' is (not) done processing) and you issue a 'rw 11'... no
bug. But if you issue a 'rw (sometime prior to 10 seconds)'... the bug
appears.

Likewise... if '20sec.wav' is done processing, but '30sec.wav' hasn't,
and you issue a 'rw 21'... no bug. But if you issue a 'rw (sometime
prior to 20 seconds)'... the bug appears.

Of course, if '30sec.wav' is finished processing and you issue a 'rw
(sometime prior to 30 seconds), the bug appears.

Hope this helps in tracking it down...
Rocco