Re: [ecasound] playat in interactive mode ???

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 21:29:53 EET

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>> Aa, the problem is that you quote the whole argument. This
>> causes ecasound
>> to look for a filename
>> "playat,15,/usr/share/sounds/nagra/El-carro.wav",
>> which will fail. The correct syntax would be:
>>
>> ecasound ('h' for help)> ai-add
>> playat,15,/usr/share/sounds/nagra/El-carro.wav
[...]
> Well, I'd say this is counterintuitive.
>
> This is because typical shells split on whitespaces, not commas, i.e. for a
> typical shell

I agree, this can be really confusing. Ecasound has used comma-separated
argument lists since day one (-> this is used everywhere in the codebase).
This gets extremely confusing once you start having arguments themselves
containing commas, but there is not much that can be done about this. :(

Previously ecasound simply didn't support quoting at all, which was more
easy to understand, but on the negative side you couldn't access filenames
containing commans. Now you can quote, but it's more confusing (as
demonstrated by Pierre's problems).

Hmm, maybe Ecasound 3.0 will be a "free from commas" release. >;)