Re: [ecasound] JACK port naming [patch]

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 01:31:06 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Dominic Sacré wrote:

> Making port numbers start at one for each prefix turned out to be fairly
> straightforward, a patch is attached. It's still possible to use the same

thanks a lot, the patch looks good to me.

The only reason why I didn't yet commit this to the git tree is that this
might break someone's scripts. In the past we've been very conservative
about maintaining backward compatibility of command-line options.

Others, any opinions about this?

Personally, I'm leaning towards to accepting the patch. Ecasound's JACK
code was developed during very early days of JACK (in 2001-02), and at
that time it was far from clear how people would end up using the system.
Things like "jack_alsa" look a bit dated now, and I think "jack_generic"
suffers partly from the same design rot. I agree that if someone needs to
use "jack_generic" (versus e.g. "jack"), it is likely she would appreciate
predictable port numbering as well.

> And besides, this also fixes a segfault that occured when using the same
> prefix for inputs and outputs (ecasound -i jack_generic,foo -o
> jack_generic,foo), because JACK doesn't allow two ports with the same name,
> even if one is input and the other is output.

And this is yet another reason to change "jack_generic".