[ecasound] channel assignment problem

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 21 2008 - 16:07:47 EEST

Hello All,

first a working setup:

(\
export LADSPA_PATH=`pwd`/ladspa;\
ECASOUND=~/AFSWD/install/ecasound-2.5.1/binsh/ecasound;\
$ECASOUND \
-ddd \
-D \
-b 4096 \
-i input.flac \
-eli:1010 \
-eli:1020 \
-f 16,2,44100 \
-o alsahw,0,0 \
) 2>ecasound.log
.

The setup is working in a sense I have sound in both left and right
channels.

Important details about the above setup: the 1010 plugin has 2 inputs and
4 outputs, the 1020 plugin has 4 inputs and 2 outputs, and it looks like
the 4 outputs correctly autoconnect to the 4 inputs, at least WRT sound
presence in the 2 output channels.

Now the problematic setup - first I execute

(\
export LADSPA_PATH=`pwd`/ladspa;\
ECASOUND=~/AFSWD/install/ecasound-2.5.1/binsh/ecasound;\
$ECASOUND \
-z:nodb \
-ddd \
-D \
-f f32_le,4,44100,i \
-b 4096 \
-i ecasound_fifo.raw \
-eli:1020 \
-f 16,2,44100 \
-o alsahw,0,0 \
) 2>ecasound.1020.log

, then

(\
export LADSPA_PATH=`pwd`/ladspa;\
ECASOUND=~/AFSWD/install/ecasound-2.5.1/binsh/ecasound;\
$ECASOUND \
-ddd \
-D \
-i input.flac \
-eli:1010 \
-f f32_le,4,44100,i \
-b 4096 \
-o ecasound_fifo.raw \
) 2>ecasound.1010.log
.

In this second case I only have sound in the left channel.

I expected this more complex setup with two ecasound instances to work the
same way as the simple working single instance setup. That is, I expected
the same 2 -> 4 -> 4 -> 2 channles chain, the "4 -> 4" being in this case
connected through 'ecasound_fifo.raw' pipe.

The same behavior can be observed with ecasound-2.4.6.1. Also, using
non-interleaving buffers (replacing ',i' with ',n') does not help.

Are my command lines flawed in the second case or it looks like a real
problem ?

Thanks,
  Sergei.