Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.4.6.1 tries to open wrong LADSPA plugins files and hangs

From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 17:41:05 EEST

--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> From: Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.4.6.1 tries to open wrong LADSPA plugins files and hangs
> To: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden, "Kai Vehmanen" <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> Date: Monday, August 11, 2008, 6:45 AM
> --- On Sun, 8/10/08, Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound-2.4.6.1 tries to open
> wrong LADSPA plugins files and hangs
> > To: ecasound-list@email-addr-hidden
> > Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008, 12:34 PM
> > Hi,

> plugin
> > file
> >
> > btw, this is just a warning. Does ecasound in the end
> find
> > the plugins
> > under 'work/'...?
>
> I wrote the original Email because ecasound got stuck even
> though the
> plugins were under /home/sergei/work/ - I think ecasound
> tries to treat
> each file as a DLL and since most of the files are not
> DLLs, it gets
> stuck executing essentially random and illegal code in
> non-DLL files.
>

> > > the point is that LADSPA plugin is a DLL file -
> in
> > Linux/Solaris it
> > > will be a .so file, in Windows - .dll file, other
> OSes
> > might have other
> > > extensions.
> >
> > But what if some other system uses another convention?
> > I'm uneasy with
> > hardcoding this type of stuff to ecasound unless it is
> part
> > of the spec.
> >
> > > By the way, audacity being invoked from the same
> > directory correctly
> > > picks only the plugins that were there.
> >
> > Ecasound should actually do the same thing.. it'll
> try
> > to open all files,
> > but this should not prevent succesfully loading the
> actual
> > plugin files.
>
> It didn't. I.e. practical recipe with ecasound is to
> have only .so files
> in the plugins directories (I'm talking about Linux
> here).
>
> I guess 'audacity' performs filtering based on file
> extension, but it's
> just a guess.
>
> Thanks,
> Sergei

One more thing. In the same directory I also have named pipes.

I think if ecasound (or any other program for that matter) opens a named
pipe for reading, it will just get stuck waiting for data in that named
pipe.

So, if you are not going to change code so it will try to grab only DLLs,
all this should be in the manpage, at least a strong recommendation to
have only DLLs in the plugins directories.

Thanks,
  Sergei.